Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A little introduction

It's been fourteen months since I had my daughter. It's been fourteen months of me standing in front of the full-length mirror scrutinizing my naked body looking for even the smallest possible signs of any weight loss. It has been fourteen months of attempting to eat healthy, cut my portions, and balance it with raising a child. And it has been fourteen months of disappointment, disgust, and shame. Enough is enough, so this is my attempt at holding myself 100% accountable for everything I put into my body.

Before I got pregnant I had my idea of a nearly perfect body. Big boobs, a curvy figure, and shapely legs. I worked out regularly, and even quit my job as a hairstylist to work at a gym in hopes of continuing to improve upon my fitness regime.

Well, I was sadly mistaken. The MINUTE I told my manager that I was pregnant, he saw it as a moment of weakness and forced me from my job into one of a sedentary nature for only a few short hours a day. I became depressed, and because I was pregnant I used it as an excuse to eat more than normal. I weighed myself daily to track my weight gain throughout my pregnancy, until I hit 175lbs near my 8th month. After that, I stopped because I didn't dare watch the scale continue to go up. By the time I had my last prenatal appointment, I tipped the scales at 200lbs. I shrugged it off, since I was retaining quite a bit of fluid and had an enormous bump I figured I would lose at least 15lbs after delivery. I planned to breastfeed, and that was a SURE thing to aid in losing weight.

After having my daughter, and having everything go completely wrong with my labor and delivery I had a longer than expected recovery from a Cesarian section. I was extremely bloated, and had a difficult time getting around for weeks. At my 6 week post-partum appointment, I weighed in at 179lbs. A good start!

Unfortunately, that was about as far as I have made it, and in fact I have gained 8 more pounds since then. I have been struggling for the last year with severe body issues, aches and pains in my joints, and an overall hatred for my post-baby body.

I am finally on the right track now. I am using a combination of portion control, exercise, and eating healthy to get back to a healthy weight and a normal shape. I hope by the time summer rolls around, I will have reached my first weight loss goal of 25 lbs or more. By this time next year, I am hoping to be back down to a healthy weight for my height, which is between 105- and 115 lbs.

Sorry for the novel, but that's everything about me for now!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck in your adventure, Nicole! I'm sure that by using this blog, you'll find it much easier to maintain accountability. I had an emergency c-section after having been in labor at the hospital for 84 hours and it was a rough recovery. I am currently at my pre-pregnancy weight (maintained since my 6 week checkup) but that's not necessarily a good thing! I'm ready to lose 20-25 pounds and am glad you've decided to share your journey. Stay motivated and know we (here in blog-land) will be cheering you on. :)

    ReplyDelete